Individual or business clients who retain me as attorney will deal with me directly in each matter from beginning to end. I enjoy the variety and challenge of a broad solo practice. I take a multi-disciplinary approach to the practice of law. With the diverse background that I have, I draw on eclectic intellectual resources and life experiences in addition to more than twenty years of legal experience to counsel clients effectively in the areas listed. I am admitted to practice in the courts of the State of New York, the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of the State of New York, and the United States Supreme Court.
Remember – not all lawyers’ or law firms’ professional styles or capabilities are suitable to the needs of all clients. The right match is important or communication, as well as legal representation, will be difficult. Bad communication benefits no one as the attorney client relationship should be about solving problems not creating them.
Where is my law practice located? My practice located in Westchester County, New York, a short train ride from mid-town Manhattan. With all the resources of New York City and the metropolitan area at my disposal, I represent clients from around the world who have need of a New York lawyer or counsel that is not state specific.
STATEMENT OF CLIENT’S RIGHTS
1. You are entitled to be treated with courtesy and consideration at all times by your lawyer and the other lawyers and personnel in your lawyer’s office.
2. You are entitled to an attorney capable of handling your legal matter competently and diligently, in accordance with the highest standards of the profession. If you are not satisfied with how your matter is being handled, you have the right to withdraw from the attorney-client relationship at any time (court approval may be required in some matters and your attorney may have a claim against you for the value of services rendered to you up to the point of discharge).
3. You are entitled to your lawyer’s independent professional judgment and undivided loyalty uncompromised by conflicts of interest.
4. You are entitled to be charged a reasonable fee and to have your lawyer explain at the outset how the fee will be computed and the manner and frequency of billing. You are entitled to request and receive a written itemized bill from your attorney at reasonable intervals. You may refuse to enter into any fee arrangement that you find unsatisfactory. In the event of a fee dispute, you may have the right to seek arbitration; your attorney will provide you with the necessary information regarding arbitration in the event of a fee dispute, or upon your request.
5. You are entitled to have your questions and concerns addressed in a prompt manner and to have your telephone calls returned promptly.
6. You are entitled to be kept informed as to the status of your matter and to request and receive copies of papers. You are entitled to sufficient information to allow you to participate meaningfully in the development of your matter.
7. You are entitled to have your legitimate objectives respected by your attorney, including whether or not to settle your matter (court approval of a settlement is required in some matters).
8. You have the right to privacy in your dealings with your lawyer and to have your secrets and confidences preserved to the extent permitted by law.
9. You are entitled to have your attorney conduct himself or herself ethically in accordance with the Code of Professional Responsibility.
10. You may not be refused representation on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin or disability.
Disclaimer: This Website has been prepared for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should only act on the basis of legal advice from your own lawyer. Browsing this Website or communicating with me through this Website does not create an attorney-client relationship. Like all attorneys, Lawrence A. Berglas, is admitted to practice in certain courts only and is not admitted to practice before all courts in all jurisdictions here in the United States or abroad. Please do not send any confidential information to this Website.